Wednesday, May 25, 2016

tjena killar och tjejer!




This week has been very productive.  I just want to start by saying I hit my year mark on my mission this last Friday.. (May 13th) so that meant a few things needed to be done. The first thing is that I needed to burn a shirt.  That is a tradition for all missionaries.  So we made a little fire on the beach and burned that bad boy.  It felt good!  Next was a personal thing I wanted to do... eat Surströmming.
Practicing my Boy Scout skills.

 For those of you that don't know what that is.. It basically is just rotten, fermented Herring (fish) Its canned..rotten..and smells like death haha. "Surströmming" in English litteraly means "sour herring" haha!  A classic swedish delicacy but know to be one of the worlds nastiest foods. So I decided to take it upon my self toeat a whole fish (which didn't end up happening).  Your supposed to eat in on bread with potato, tomato, and A LOT of seasonings with a little bit on top of it, BUT I wanted to take a bite right out of the fish its self which probably wasn't the best idea haha.  If you are interesting in watching my attempt at eating Surströmming.. I'm sending a video to my mom, and she will post it on face book or something.  I can say that was the grossest thing I have had in my whole life and I will smell like surströmming for about three days before it starts to fade away!  haha I might just want to go back to that beach and burn all my clothes!! 

What was fun is that we had some Elders come from the mainland for the weekend to do some work with us so we had some company!  Every transfer the district leader and zone leaders trade off with coming here and this transfer it was the district leaders turn.  Elder Backman and Elder Muirhead!  None of them tried surströmming before either, so they both tried a little piece and then it was Elder Scotts (my companion) turn!  He threw up pretty bad too haha! But is was a good P day :) 

But last p day had to do a lot with fish too actually. We spent the day fishing again and got some good sun burns which turned into some little sun tans trying to get my back to my California self. We also had a lesson with two guys on Monday and they are both refugees from Afghanistan, and are wanting to learn more about Christ. So we taught them with one of our translators on the phone and they want to be baptized! So we will be working with them and have worked with them this last week. 

The next day we actually went to Stockholm for a special Zone training with President and Sister Beckstrand (our mission president) and the assistants.  It was a really good training and i picked up an awesome package full of treats from home (shout out to my mom and family!). 
Then the rest of the week was just teaching some different investigators and finding people! Its also been super rainy and cold here these last several days. But the sun isnt setting until after 9 pm which is cool!
Something I was thinking about this last week was about these refugees and how they are scared to become a Christian.  It is understandable and it can be dangerous if it's in the wrong situation and we are completely aware about that.  If they don't feel comfortable being taught, or if we feel strange about the situation, then we will not teach them.   One thing I do believe, is miracles happen and how faith in God and in His Son, Jesus Christ gives us strength and guidance.  There is a scripture I thought of when thinking about this.  In 1 Nephi 3:7,  it pretty much says how the Lord will provide a way if he asks us to do something.  He is not going to leave us stranded if we are trying to come to him and He will be there to support us and give us what we need to accomplish His will.  It's all about having the faith and exercising the faith that he can do so.  If you have the faith, I can promise you that you will see miricals in your own life.  That's not just a promise from me, but a promise from God. 

Love you all and have a good week!
Äldste Blackburn












Found some real Australian root beer!
So good!!















No comments:

Post a Comment